- Will become workhorse press producing 50% of its packaging
- Improving efficiency and turnaround for its loyal customers
- Sees growth in plastics and synthetic printing
Like many Sun Belt cities, Memphis has spread beyond its core downtown to promote outward expansion and increase its population growth. In similar fashion to this birthplace of rock and roll, J.W. Moore Printing has continued to spread beyond its core services to increase its solid growth. What was established as a reputable customer-centric commercial printing business has blossomed in the past two decades to serve the burgeoning packaging industry. Now the third-generation family firm is poised to pivot again, this time to increase its footprint into a new growing realm of plastics and synthetic printing.
Adapting to a new landscape in the commercial and packaging printing industry, J.W. Moore is eagerly looking ahead to the installation of a new KBA Rapida 145 six-color sheetfed press plus coater at its facility located in south Memphis near the international airport in an industrial park. Not far away, crowds gather to visit Elvis Presley’s Graceland, but J.W. Moore continues to draw hard working, dedicated craftsmen to produce expert packaging for the corrugated and medical markets.
Left to right: The management team at J.W. Moore: Matt Moore, Gary Moore, and Michael Moore, eagerly await their new KBA Rapida 145 six-color sheetfed press plus coater.
“Our client base consists of local, national and international companies, many of whom have been with us since our beginning,” says Matt Moore, J.W. Moore’s president. “90% of our clients are packaging related; the other 10% is a mix of commercial, specialty, and fulfillment. We’re proud of our heritage and our future. J. W. Moore is a third generation family owned business opened by Jack Moore in 1958. With 59 years of experience, we have what it takes to handle our client’s specific printing needs. We constantly monitor the multiple complexities inherent in every print job so that, from their perspective, the process is as simple as possible. Not only do we have one of the largest presses in the Mid-South, but we also utilize several presses of varying sizes and capabilities to fit the job.”
But the upcoming installation of the new KBA Rapida 145 will provide the firm with great opportunity, especially as it grows into the plastic/synthetic markets. While other printers have stumbled, J.W. Moore has continued to grow, necessitating more equipment to deliver additional capacity. Moore’s management team wants its customers to know that it is investing in the latest innovative technology that will transform its pressroom. For faster drying and output, the KBA VariDry UV system will give the firm new capabilities while the patented KBA Sensoric Infeed System (SIS) will provide precise positioning of the sheet at maximum press speed without operator intervention.
New to its workflow is the KBA QualiTronic ColorControl, which will be complemented by the KBA ErgoTronic ColorControl; both will provide the ability to control and monitor color on every single sheet the press produces while improving efficiency and reducing makeready. Featured on the new press is the KBA LogoTronic Professional, which will have the ability to capture press performance for analysis and connect to the firm’s existing KBA Rapida 162a press while providing detailed reports on every activity taking place on the press. Being able to share data between the two KBA presses lends continuity to the pressroom. Once installed, the new KBA Rapida 145 will be the firm’s workhorse, producing over 50% of its deliverables.
J.W. Moore owes much of its success to its willingness to be a hands-on ownership group that gets very involved in day-to-day operations and is accessible to its customers.
“Our customers really appreciate our availability because they know they can contact us directly at any time,” says Moore. “As an ownership group, we aren’t afraid to get our hands dirty. Plus our employees care deeply about the jobs they produce. We’ve got a talented mix on our pressroom floor---long tenured employees along with new graduates from our trainee programs. We’re all working together to be fast, focused, and flexible.”
J.W. Moore is a full service communications and printing company that has been in operation since 1958. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest, most reputable commercial offset printers in the Mid-South. Its client base consists of local, national, and international companies; many have been with the firm since it began more then five decades ago. Not only does J.W. Moore operate one of the largest presses in the Mid-South, but it also utilizes several presses of varying sizes and capabilities to fit the job. This gives the firm the unique ability to produce every component of a customer’s job at the same time.